Georgian Bay Ontario / London Ontario
Classic Car enthusiast Steve Plunkett checks over his 1938 Cadillac Roadster one last time before loading it onto a Cobble Beach bound trailer where it will be shown as part of Canada's most prestigious car show...the Cobble Beach Concours D'Elegance. This will be the fourth annual. "It's the high end of the hobby, and it is the only car show of its type in Canada" said Plunkett. "It's the Pebble Beach of the North".
The Cobble Beach event which takes place this weekend, is Canada's only Concours D'Elegance, an event that features some of the country's finest collector cars. The cars and owners come on an invitation only basis, but for spectators the event is a public affair open to everyone. The Cobble Beach show venue overlooks the cobblestone adorned shores of Lake Huron. The cars are parked on the grounds of Georgian Bay's Cobble Beach Resort Community on An award-winning golf course. Steve Plunkett has come away from the event in past years with awards, but he says the most important part of the show is its charitable aspect, and the money it raises for SunnyBrook Hospital.
"They are building a heli-pad for Sunnybrook", said Plunkett. "So there is a charitable aspect to the show. It's a gorgeous venue overlooking Lake Huron. It's a beautiful show. I wouldn't miss it."
Plunkett's 1938 Cadillac is the considered the last custom bodied Cadillac roadster built. It was custom bodied for Ralph Pulitzer of the Pulitzer Prize family. It will join an international field of more than 100 of the world's most spectacular vintage automobiles this weekend. There will be vehicles dating back more than 100 years, to the birth of the automobile. There will be true classics from the 1920's and 1930's. There will be muscle cars, and exotics too, but the caliber of vehicles on display is what will set this event apart. Every vehicle is hand picked for its rarity and quality. The event starts Saturday with a road tour and seminars. The main event which is expected to attract a healthy crowd of automotive enthusiasts and spectators will be held Sunday. That's when the cars will be judged and and ultimately awards presented. It will be a competition of Elegance, and an event that will stimulate tourism, while supporting and elevating Canada's classic car hobby and its enthusiasts to new heights. More information on the show including a complete show schedule can be found at at www.cobblebeachconcours.com. Rick Walker SST Car Show News.
Here is a partial list of cars that will be featured this weekend.
· 1922 Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost, Robert Thompson, Port Elgin, ON, Canada
· 1937 Studebaker Dictator Coupe, Sheldon Rier, Cambridge, ON, Canada
· 1929 Willys-Knight 66B & Plaidside , Vernon Smith, Swift Current, NL, Canada
· 1938 Cadillac Brunn-Bodied V8 Roadster, Steve Plunkett, London, ON, Canada
· 1935 Packard 1207, Brent Merrill, Toronto, ON, Canada
· 1954 Chevrolet Corvette C1, Stephane DuMaine, Roxton Pond, QC, Canada
· 1956 Studebaker Golden Hawk, Mark James, Lancaster, PA, USA
· 1958 Porsche 356A Coupe, Brad Marsland, Waterloo, ON, Canada
· 1959 Aston Martin DB4 Series 1, Dennis Sheehan, Burlington, ON, Canada
· 1965 Chevrolet Corvette, Alan Boughton, Caledon, ON, Canada
· 1967 Beaumont Sport Deluxe 396, Mark Bortolotto, Burlington, ON, Canada
· 1969 Pontiac GTO Ram Air Judge, Jeffery Seigel, Concord, ON, Canada
· 1970 Plymouth Roadrunner Convertible, Tony and Elaine Lang, Hanover, ON, Canada
· 1971 Ferrari Dino 246 GT, Paul Calisi, Toronto, ON, Canada
· 1987 Lotus 99t/4 Ayrton Senna, William Halkiw, Toronto, On, Canada
· 2014 McLaren P1, Miles Nadal, Toronto, ON, Canada
· 1911 Stevens Duryea, Model AA Tourer, AACA Museum, Hershey , PA
· 1912 Tudhope Model 4-36, Orillia Heritage Centre, Orillia, ON, Canada
· 1959 Cadillac Cyclone, GM Heritage Centre, Detroit, MI, USA
Pre-Concours Events, September 17, 2016:
8:00 am - Participants' Tour Registration in the Sales & Discovery Centre (Participants, Local Car Clubs, Judges and Sponsors invited) 8:30 am - Participants' Tour Drivers Meeting at Cobble Beach Marquis Tent (Cobble Beach tent northside of the clubhouse) 9:00 am - Participants' Tour leaves Cobble Beach 9:30 am - Test Drives Begin (limited availability) 1:00 pm - Participants' Tour returns to Cobble Beach 1:00 pm - Participants' Tour lunch presented by APANS Health Services at the Cobble Beach Clubhouse 2:15 pm - Seminar - The Future of Full Classics presented by Hagerty Insurance (Panelists, Mark Lambert, Mark Moskowitz & Jay Quail, Moderated by Jonathan Stein) (Pre-Registration required, no charge) 3:15 pm - Seminar - View from the Cockpit with Lyn St. James (Pre-Registration required, no charge) 4:30 pm - Test Drives End 6:00 pm - Kick-Off Reception presented by Chubb - Cobble Beach Clubhouse (Open to Participants, Judges, Key Sponsors)
Concours d'Elegance, September 18, 2016:
5:30 am - Show Field load-in 9:00 am - Show Field opens to the public 9:00 am - Test Drives Begin (limited availability) 9:30 am - Judging Begins 11:30 am - Judging Ends 1:30 pm - Official Welcome - Awards Area 2:15 pm - Awards Presentation Starts 4:00 pm - Test Drives End 4:30 pm - Awards Presentation Ends 6:00 pm - After-Glow Reception - Cobble Beach Clubhouse (Open to Ticket Holders)
There is field parking 5 minutes South of Cobble Beach on Church Side Road. There will be directional signs as you approach Cobble Beach. There will be shuttle buses running from field parking to the event.
For Owen Sound parking & hotels, there will be shuttle buses running from the Inn on the Bay Best Western, Day's Inn, Travelodge, Comfort Inn & Bayshore Community Centre* for Saturday & Sunday. Parking is free with admission.
If you are parking at the Bayshore Community please park at the back of the lot. Please see map below.
Cobble Beach Golf Resort 221 McLeese Drive, Kemble, Ontario N0H 1SO
416.366.4820 x 228